Sweet potatoes are nutrient powerhouses with vitamin C, fiber, potassium, vitamin E, iron, magnesium and phytochemicals like beta carotene and lutein. One medium sweet potato can give you your entire day’s supply of vitamin A.
did you know?
- Although the names are sometimes used interchangeably, sweet potatoes and yams are not the same food and contain different nutrients.
- To maximize nutrients, choose sweet potatoes that are dark orange.
- One sweet potato provides a whole day’s supply of vitamin A.
- Beyond beta carotene we expect from a bright orange vegetable, sweet potatoes also provide vitamin C, calcium, iron and fiber.
- When shopping, look for firm sweet potatoes with smooth skin that is free of cracks and soft spots.
- Unlike other potatoes, sweet potatoes are part of the morning glory family.
- Find sweet potatoes at the entrée station, grill, salad bar, soup station, grab and go and even in desserts.