Oranges, tangerine, grapefruit, pomelo, kumquat, lemon, lime and citron are considered citrus superfoods. They are tart and sweet pulpy fruit from the rue family.
Did you know?
- Oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruits, kumquats, pummelos and clementines are all considered citrus fruits and are an excellent source of Vitamin C.
- Citrus fruits contain a variety of nutrients including potassium, calcium, phosphorus and a variety of B vitamins.
- Enjoy citrus fruits in smoothies, parfaits, salads or just as they are.
- Carotenoids, the red, orange and yellow pigments found in fruits and vegetables, have been widely studied for their potential to protect us from a variety of diseases.
- Pummelos are the largest of all citrus fruit and are less acidic than traditional grapefruit.
- Mexican limes or Key limes are much smaller than the larger, more popular Tahiti Lime.
- Juices are a popular way to get citrus fruits into your day. Remember that 8 oz is a typical serving and look for 100% unsweetened juice to avoid unwanted added sugars.
- Citrus is one of the most nutrient dense groups of fruit offering a boost of nutrients with relatively few calories.
- Want to keep your freshly cut apples from turning brown? Toss them with a little lemon, orange or grapefruit juice.