This Tabouli Salad is one of our Teaching Kitchen recipes. Tabouli is a traditional salad served in several Middle Eastern countries. It has gained popularity in Western cuisine as a healthy vegetarian dish that provides vitamins, minerals, fiber and complex carbohydrates. This dish is a staple as a “mezze,” a popular way to start a meal in many cultures in the Middle East.
A perfect side dish for your summer BBQ or picnic, Tabouli salad packs a ton of flavor thanks to the fresh mint and parsley. Adding fresh herbs to an entrée or salad is a great way to add flavor to your dish without adding extra salt, fat or sugar.
You can find this recipe in our Mediterranean Meal Plan.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1-3/4 cup boiling water
- 6 each fresh mint
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 2 each fresh scallions
- 1/2 each fresh English cucumbers
- 2 each fresh plum tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 1-1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
Click the button to go to Instacart where we have prepared a cart with all the ingredients you’ll need! As a bonus, we will receive a small portion of any sales to support our mission of wellness and sustainability.
- Bring water to a boil and pour over the cracked bulgur in a shallow pan so that it covers the wheat by at least an inch. The bulgur will absorb the water in about 15 minutes. Drain off any excess water and chill.
- After each prep step below, add the ingredients to the empty mixing bowl: a) Finely chop mint and parsley b) Thinly slice green onion on a bias c) ¼ inch dice cucumber and then tomato d) Add cumin e) Zest lemon with microplane or grater; cut lemon in half and add the juice by squeezing into a mesh strainer or a citrus juicer
- Season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix well to combine all ingredients and taste. Add more lemon juice or mint if desired. Plate salad and garnish.
Persian Cucumber & Tomato Salad with Preserved Lemon // Shrimp and Pasta with Basil Walnut Pesto // Farro & Lentil Shaker Salad