In this cucumber and tomato salad recipe, preserved lemon adds a tangy, salty bite. Serve this healthy salad as an accompaniment to dishes like grilled lamb or chicken or as a side on a bed of finely julienned purple kale, lightly dressed with more olive oil and lemon juice. Look for preserved lemons at specialty-foods stores.
- 3 cups cucumber preferably Persian or “mini”, unpeeled & diced
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes assorted, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup fresh white onion finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon minced, preserved (or 1 tsp lemon zest)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice fresh
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- to taste ground black pepper
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, parsley, mint, preserved lemon (or zest), lemon juice and salt in a medium bowl. Let stand for at least 10 minutes (and up to 2 hourfor the flavors to meld.
- Add oil and toss to coat. Season with pepper.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.