The Farro & Lentil Shaker Salad is one of our many Teaching Kitchen recipes. We created the recipe as a shaker salad because it makes it playful and fun. However, when feeding a family, just toss it all in a big salad bowl and that works great. For busy days, keep the dressing, the lentils, and the farro on the side and everyone eats when they can. It really keeps well in the fridge this way. Great to pack for lunch the next day, too!
Also, be creative! This recipe is perfect as is, but feel free to play around with it. Try experimenting with in-season, local produce to create an even more sustainable, environmentally-friendly dish. You can change up the lentils and farro. Since farro is not gluten-free, you can easily replace it with quinoa to make this recipe gluten-free. This recipe is so versatile, you can’t mess it up.
- 2 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp shallots minced
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp fresh mint chopped
- 1/4 tsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh baby kale
- 1/4 cup Fresh Brussels Sprouts
- 1/4 cup lentils cooked
- 1/2 cup farro cooked
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup cucumbers diced
- 3 Tbsp dried apricots thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp pecans toasted, chopped
- For the Lentils: Sort and rinse the lentils to remove any dirt or debris. Bring water to a boil, add the lentils, and simmer gently until lentils are soft, approximately 30 minutes. Drain and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the Farro: Place farro into a colander and rinse the grain under running water until the water runs clear. Farro follows the 2:1 water to grain cooking ratio.
- For the Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the fresh lemon juice, shallot, and Dijon
mustard. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking the entire time. Add fresh herbs, salt, and
pepper. Mix together and set aside until ready to use.
- For the Kale & Brussels Blend: Remove stems from kale leaves and stack together. Slice
thinly, cut the slices in half pieces that are not to long. Use a mandoline or sharp knife to thinly slice Brussels sprouts. Place both greens into a bowl and mix together to combine.
- For the Shaker Salad: Layer in the following order in each 16 oz. Mason jar. Put lids on jars
and shake well to combine ingredients and dressing.1/2 cup kale & Brussels blend;
1/4 cup cooked lentils;
1/2 cup cooked farro;
1/4 cup cherry tomato;
1/4 cup diced cucumbers;
3 tablespoons thinly sliced dried apricots;
1 tablespoon toasted, chopped pecans