Our sweet potato egg bites offer a fun way to incorporate more veggies into your meal. In this recipe, we guide you through making our breakfast in a jar using the sous vide method of cooking. Sous vide, which means “under vacuum” in French, refers to the process of vacuum-sealing food in a bag, then cooking it to a very precise temperature in a water bath. We use jars rather than bags as you can see in the steps below.
Check out the other Veg Rev recipes here.
- 2 cloves fresh garlic peeled and chopped
- 1-1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 each avocados
- 2/3 cup fresh sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 oz fresh green tomatillo
- 2 each fresh serrano chili peppers
- 4 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 6 each egg
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 slices seedless baguette bread
- 3 cups fresh baby arugula
- 18 each fresh cherry tomatoes quartered
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Click the button to go to Instacart where we have prepared a cart with all the ingredients you’ll need! As a bonus, we will receive a small portion of any sales to support our mission of wellness and sustainability.
- Separate garlic cloves and 1/2 cup water, kosher salt, black pepper, extra virgin olive oil, and avocado.
- Toss diced sweet potato in 1 tsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper. Lay out baking tray and roast in oven at 400°F until caramelized and tender (about 12 minutes).
- While the sweet potato is roasting, prepare avocado tomatillo salsa. Peel and pit 1 avocado. In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatillos, 2 garlic cloves, serrano peppers, cilantro, avocado, 2 tsp vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 cup water. Process until smooth. Can add more water if needed. Set aside. Yield: 24 Tbsp (serving size: 2 Tbsp)
- Combine eggs, 1/4 tsp salt, cheddar cheese and cream cheese in a blender; mix until smooth. Distribute sweet potato and basil evenly between the 4oz mason jars, add egg mixture to 4oz line. Repeat for all jars. Place 2 part lid on jars and finger tighten only. If you overtighten the gas won't release and the jars could break while cooking.
- Submerge jars on the stove in 172°F water and cook for 1 hour until internal temp reaches 165°F. Remove from water bath and let stand 5 minutes. Brush baguette slices with 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive and toast on a hot griddle or flattop until golden brown. Cut in half on a bias (45 degree angle).
- Mix 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice, arugula, cherry tomatoes, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.Smear 2 Tbsp. salsa on a plate. With the back edge of a butter knife, carefully run the blade around the inside of the jar to loosen the egg. Remove and plate. Add a fresh tossed salad, crostini and sliced avocado.