The patties for this freekeh burger can be prepared in advance and refrigerated, then browned just before serving.
You can find this recipe in our Vegetarian Meal Plan.
Servings: 7 (click to scale)
- 2-1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 8 oz greenwheat freekeh
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup fresh white onion minced
- 1/4 cup fresh celery minced
- 1/4 cup fresh carrots minced
- 1/4 cup fresh red bell peppers diced
- 2 tsp fresh garlic cloves minced
- 2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 ea egg beaten
- 1/8 tsp thyme dried, crushed
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 7 ea whole wheat hamburger bun
- 7 ea leaf lettuce
- 14 ea fresh tomatoes 1/2” each slice
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- In a small pot, bring vegetable stock to a boil. Stir in Greenwheat Freekeh and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let it rest, covered, for 10 additional minutes.
- In a sauté pan, heat 1/3rd of oil and add onion, celery, carrot and bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the Greenwheat Freekeh, vegetables, panko, mozzarella, egg, thyme and paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Thoroughly mix the ingredients by hand until they begin to form a paste. Form 5-oz. patties.
- In a sauté pan, heat the remaining oil and cook the patties to a golden brown, flipping halfway through, about 4 minutes per side. Serve immediately on toasted wheat buns with lettuce and tomatoes.
Calories: 490kcal | Carbohydrates: 79g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2.5g | Sodium: 620mg | Fiber: 17g