Hot oatmeal cereal with apple pie flavors. To peel or not is a personal preference. Leaving the peel on, you get more nutrients and fiber; peeling the skin removes unwanted traces of pesticides. Whether you choose to peel or not, always wash your produce.
- 1-3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 cups fresh apples diced
- 1 qt water
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp walnut halves & pieces chopped & toasted
- Toss diced apples with the sugar and cinnamon and set aside. Carefully remove one pie shell from the aluminum pan and place on parchment paper. Let sit for 10 minutes to defrost and place another paper on top.
- Roll out the shell so that it is just slightly larger than the 9" pan. Toss the cranberries into the apples and pour the filling into one unbaked pie shell. Dot butter over the top of the filling. Carefully place the rolled dough on top the filling and crimp the edges. Let the pie get cold in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, cut slits on top for steam.
- Brush with egg wash. Bake in a 350F degree oven for 30 – 40 minutes. Meanwhile, whip heavy cream with the powdered sugar and grated ginger.