Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 1 Chef knife
- 1 cutting board
- 1 large strainer for draining pasta
- 1 small strainer for draining beans
- 1 large stock pot
- 1 ladle
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 large sauté pan
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 micro plane
- ½ lbs. penne pasta Barilla Plus
- 1 gal water
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- ¼ each fresh Spanish onions 1/4” dice
- 16 each fresh cremini mushrooms sliced
- 3 each fresh roma tomatoes 1/2” dice
- 1 head fresh escarole washed and chopped
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups canned cannellini beans, low sodium rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp solid unsalted butter
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Rinse uncut produce in fresh water. Remove the core and chop the escarole in 2” pieces. Triple wash the escarole as it is very gritty and sandy.
- Bring water and salt to a boil, add pasta and stir. Cook 7-8 minutes until al dente (firm to the bite). Reserve about a cup of the pasta water for later. Drain pasta and reserve.
- Mince garlic, 1/4” dice the onion. Rinse beans well in a strainer.
- In a large sauté pan, add the oil over high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent but not burned. Add mushrooms, escarole and cook to reduce, about 2 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes and salt and pepper. Let cook for a couple minutes. If all of the liquid is evaporating, add some of the reserved pasta water. Add cooked pasta and butter. Cook for about a minute and toss together. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Divide equally into four serving bowls or plates. With a micro plane, shred a tablespoon of fresh parmesan over each dish. Serve immediately.
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3.5g | Sodium: 570mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g