Servings: 6 (click to scale)
- 3/4 cup water boiling
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 oz fresh yellow onions diced
- 5 oz fresh carrot diced
- 4 1/2 oz fresh red bell peppers diced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 lb tempeh
- 1/4 oz cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 oz tomato paste
- 5 oz light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 oz fresh button mushrooms quartered
- 1 3/4 oz unsalted cashews
- 1 1/4 oz cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
Click the button to go to Instacart where we have prepared a cart with all the ingredients you’ll need! As a bonus, we will receive a small portion of any sales to support our mission of wellness and sustainability.
- Wash all produce before prepping. Preheat oven to 350°F. Rough chop cashews. Place on baking tray and toast in oven for 7-10 minutes. Remove, let cool and reserve for final step.
- Place the tempeh in a stock pot and cover with water, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes to remove the bitterness. Drain and rinse under cold water and pat dry. Cut the tempeh into 1/2 inch cubes and place into a large mixing bowl. Add the 1st addition of cornstarch and toss to coat. Reserve.
- Place the 1st addition of water, soy sauce, vinegar, tomato paste, sugar, garlic, ginger, coriander, and paprika in a pot and bring to a boil. Lower to simmer. Place the 1st addition of oil in a skillet and heat over medium-high. Add the reserved tempeh. Brown on all sides, remove and reserve. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat again, add the 2nd addition of oil. Add onion, carrot, pepper and mushrooms and sauté until tender but still crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Reserve.
- Place the 2nd addition of cornstarch and 2nd addition of water together in a bowl and mix well to create a slurry. Add to the sauce mixture, whisk in well so no lumps form. Turn up the heat in the pot to bring to a boil and thicken. Add to the skillet with the vegetables and mix well. Add the reserved tempeh to the skillet and heat till all contents are 165°F.
- For plating, ladle 1 cup into a bowl. Add 1 Tablespoon of toasted chopped cashews on top as garnish.
Recipe provided by The Humane Society of the United States.
Calories: 420kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 740mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 28g
Tried this recipe?Mention @We.Eat.Live.Do.Well or tag #WeEatLiveDoWell!