Servings: 6 (click to scale)
- 12 oz extra firm tofu 1" cubed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 oz fresh red cabbage julienne sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 1/2 oz fresh yellow onions diced fine
- 3 oz fresh button mushrooms sliced
- 2 oz fresh baby spinach
- 3 oz fresh cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 1/2 oz black turtle beans canned, low sodium
- 12 tortillas corn, yellow, 6"
- 3/4 cup guacamole
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Drain and press tofu for at least 15 minutes. In a bowl, combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, turmeric and water, mix well. Reserve. In a separate bowl, toss cabbage and lime juice. Reserve.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add onions and mushrooms; cook until slightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Add spinach, tomatoes and black beans; cook until the spinach wilts, another 2-3 minutes. Remove ingredients from pan and reserve. Place skillet back on the burner and crumble tofu into hot pan. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until hot and starting to caramelize. Add spiced water and mix with tofu thoroughly. Allow excess liquid to evaporate, 1-2 minutes, add the reserved vegetables and beans back to the pan and toss all ingredients together and heat through.
- To Assemble: On a preheated grill or griddle, heat 2 corn tortillas on both sides, then place on vessel of choice. Add 2 ounces of filling per taco. Add 1 Tbsp. of red cabbage, 1 Tbsp. guacamole, and garnish with 1 tsp chopped cilantro.
Recipe provided by The Humane Society of the United States.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 470mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g