Servings: 6 (click to scale)
- 6 1/2 cups water boiling
- 21 oz long grain white rice
- 1 lb tempeh
- 2 oz Gochujang sauce
- 1 oz sesame oil
- 4 1/2 oz maple syrup
- 2 oz soy sauce
- 2 1/4 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 6 oz fresh carrot matchstick cut
- 8 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 1/4 oz seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 oz fresh spinach
- 1 oz soy sauce
- 2 oz sriracha hot chili sauce
- 2 oz maple syrup
- 1 oz sesame oil
- 7 oz fresh English cucumbers sliced, thin, on bias
Click the button to go to Instacart where we have prepared a cart with all the ingredients you’ll need! As a bonus, we will receive a small portion of any sales to support our mission of wellness and sustainability.
- Combine rice vinegar with salt. Add cucumber slices and mix to coat and reserve in cooler to quick pickle. Let set for at least an hour.
- Combine rice with water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- Line sheet pans with parchment paper, set aside. Cut tempeh widthwise (1/2" thickness) and cut blocks diagonally to make triangle cutlets (about 2" cuts). Set aside and prepare sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together gochujang, 1st addition sesame oil, 1st addition maple syrup, 1st addition soy sauce and 2nd addition rice vinegar, whisk to combine. Add tempeh triangles and toss to coat. Space pieces on parchment paper and bake in oven for approximately 20 minutes, until crispy.
- Remove stems from mushrooms.
- Steam spinach, carrots, and mushrooms separately in steamer just until tender, but not overcooked. The spinach will only take about 1 minute. Mushrooms 3-4 minutes and carrots 4-5 minutes.
- Whisk together second addition of soy sauce, sriracha, second addition of sesame oil, and second addition of maple syrup.
- 1 serving build: 1 cup rice, topped clockwise (do not stack) with 1 ounce of carrots, 1 ounce of mushrooms, 1.5 ounce of spinach, 1.5 ounce of cucumber, and 5 pieces of tempeh. Top with 2 tablespoons of Korean dressing.
Recipe provided by The Humane Society of the United States.
Calories: 640kcal | Carbohydrates: 105g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 810mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g
Tried this recipe?Mention @We.Eat.Live.Do.Well or tag #WeEatLiveDoWell!