In partnership with Oldways, we have made a variety of Mediterranean recipes available here on our website. We hope you enjoy them just as much as we do! This massaged kale farro sweet potato salad would work well as a lunch or even a side item to pair with a chicken or fish entree.
- 1/4 cup farro dry
- 2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup fresh sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb fresh kale chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh apples peeled, cored, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds
- 15 oz canned garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook farro according to package instructions. (1/4 c dry farro in 2 cups boiling water). Preheat oven to 375˚F and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss sweet potato with first listed olive oil and spread evenly on baking sheet. Roast sweet potato for 20-30 minutes, until fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, add chopped kale to a large bowl. Add second listed oil, lemon juice, and salt to the bowl. Using both hands, massage the kale for 2 minutes. The kale should turn a dark green color and will feel smooth, rather than coarse.
- Add apples, sunflower seeds, almonds, garbanzo beans, and feta to the bowl. Mix well. Once farro and sweet potato have cooled, add them to the bowl and mix well and serve.