Bring plants to the center of your plate with this VegRev take on a Bolognese featuring lentils.
Check out the other Veg Rev recipes here.
Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 each fresh shallots peeled, fresh, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh garlic peeled, minced
- 26 oz fresh tomatoes diced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dry lentils
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 each fresh zucchini
- 1 each fresh red beets
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Click the button to go to Instacart where we have prepared a cart with all the ingredients you’ll need! As a bonus, we will receive a small portion of any sales to support our mission of wellness and sustainability.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, shallot, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly softened and fragrant. Turn down heat if browning.Add carrots and a pinch of salt and stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes more, then add tomatoes and stir to coat.
- Add red pepper flake, basil, oregano, sugar, water, and lentils. Increase heat slightly and bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to low/medium-low and continue cooking until lentils are tender – stirring occasionally – about 17-20 minutes. Add a bit more water if the mixture gets too thick.
- Once lentils are cooked, taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more red pepper flake for heat, or herbs if needed. While the sauce is cooking, spiralize your zucchini and beet into noodles. Alternatively, you can use a mandolin or vegetable peeler. You can blanch the zucchini and beet zoodles in boiling water for a minute or two if desired. Strain well if you go this route.Serve the sauce over the zoodles and garnish with parmesan and red pepper flakes.
Nutrition Note: Every ½ cup of cooked lentils brings 9 grams of plant protein to this recipe (zucchini + yellow beets). Pro-Tip: sweet potatoes, carrots and pasta are great options, too.
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 9g | Sodium: 320mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 15g
Tried this recipe?Mention @We.Eat.Live.Do.Well or tag #WeEatLiveDoWell!