When life gives you lemons, make risotto…right? This creamy dish has hints of lemon making it taste fresh and full of flavor. Crunchy asparagus and grilled shrimp add the right amount of texture to make this one of our favorite low-waste recipes.
You can find this recipe in our Mediterranean Meal Plan.
- 1/3 cup fresh asparagus chopped
- 1/4 cup dry arborio rice
- 2 tsp fresh Spanish onions diced
- 1/4 tsp fresh garlic peeled, minced
- 1 Tbsp dry white wine
- 2 tsp fresh parsley
- 2-1/2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 each fresh plum tomatoes
- 3-1/3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 3-1/3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 each fresh lemon
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb frozen shrimp, tail-on
- 1/2 tsp solid unsalted butter
- 2-3/4 oz frozen beef broth (pho)
- Chop the parsley, reserving the stems for stock. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onions, 1/4 tsp garlic and asparagus. Reduce heat and cover. Cook for 10 minutes or until soft. Add rice and cook for 1 minute, then add wine. Cook until the wine is absorbed, then add half the heavy cream and stock. Cook until the stock reduces by half, then add the remaining stock. Continue cooking, stirring constantly. Add more stock, if needed. When the rice is fully cooked and creamy, fold in the Parmesan and parsley.
- In a medium pot, add tomatoes, a pinch of salt and pepper, and 1/2 tsp minced garlic to 1 Tbsp olive oil. Saute for 5 minutes. Allow tomatoes and garlic to caramelize. Peel lemon, reserving the flesh and peel separately. Add remaining olive oil, vinegar, and lemon peel. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add raw shrimp, sauté until cooked through. Remove from heat and sprinkle fresh lemon juice from the reserved lemons over the shrimp. Serve over creamy asparagus risotto with lemon tomato confit.