Servings: 6 (click to scale)
- 1 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes diced
- 1/3 cup red onions diced
- 1 ounce fresh serrano chili peppers seeded, minced
- 1/2 ounce fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 pound fresh Portobello mushrooms cut into strips
- 1 pound fresh red bell peppers cut into strips
- 1 pound yellow onions sliced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 pound canned black beans low sodium
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 12 each whole wheat flour tortillas 6 inch
- 6 ounces avocado sliced
- 3/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup jalapeno peppers sliced
- 6 each lime wedges
- To make pico, chop first listing of: tomatoes, red onions, chilis, and cilantro. Combine with first listed lime juice and salt. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- In a large skillet, over high heat add oil. Add mushroom, red pepper and onion and all of the spices. Toss and sear vegetables quickly to get a little color and char on them – 3-4 minutes, then reduce heat and add beans and lime juice. Cook to heat through, about 2-3 minutes.
- On a preheated flattop or grill heat tortillas for about 15-20 seconds on each side. Assemble fajitas by adding to each tortilla – 1 cup of the vegetable mixture, 1 Tbsp. pico de gallo, 1/2 oz. avocado, 1 Tbsp cilantro, and 2 tsp jalapeno. Serve immediately and garnish with a lime wedge.
Recipe provided by The Humane Society of the United States.
Calories: 430kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 15g | Sodium: 860mg | Fiber: 17g