Cranberry is one of those ingredients that can be used in so many different ways. Here, we’ve paired it with Southern-inspired BBQ Chicken to add some sweet flavors to this otherwise tangy sandwich.
Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 3/4 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh white onion minced
- 1 tsp fresh garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp canned tomato paste
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 2-2/3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dark molasses
- 2-2/3 Tbsp water
- 7 oz. chicken breast
- 4 ea. whole-wheat hamburger bun
- Fill a medium pot ¾ of the way with water. Place over a medium-high flame. Bring the water to a boil. Carefully add chicken breasts to boiling water, return to just a simmer, cover and remove from heat. Chicken will poach in the hot liquid, for about 4 to 8 minutes or until an internal temperature of 165F degrees is reached. Remove chicken from water and dice it. Set aside.
- In a separate pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Mix in garlic, mustard and chili powder and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes. Add paste and cook for 1 minute. Add cranberry sauce, vinegar, molasses and water. Bring to a simmer, whisking often until mixture becomes thick, about 30 minutes.
- Next, place the chicken into the pot and toss with sauce. Heat the chicken through completely. For each serving place 1/2 cup BBQ chicken on the bun. Serve with your favorite side.
Portion: 1 sandwich
Calories: 380kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 390mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 30g