Our Chickpea and Potato Stew makes a unique and satisfying vegetarian breakfast or lunch entrée. We recommend serving with a thick slice of rustic bread.
Servings: 6 (click to scale)
- 3 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 2 each fresh thyme
- 1 cloves fresh garlic peeled, crushed
- 2 each bay leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh white onion diced
- 1 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 12 oz red skin potatoes large, diced
- 3/4 cup tomato Sauce canned
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive-canola oil blend
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 oz baby spinach
- 2 oz fresh arugula
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 6 each egg
Click the button to go to Instacart where we have prepared a cart with all the ingredients you’ll need! As a bonus, we will receive a small portion of any sales to support our mission of wellness and sustainability.
- Cook garbanzo beans: Combine beans and 5 times amount of water in a medium pot. Let soak overnight. Alternatively, for a quick soak, bring the beans and water to a boil, boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain the beans and return to the pot. Add 5 times amount of water, 2 thyme sprigs, 1 peeled and crushed garlic clove, and 1 whole bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover partially and simmer until the beans are tender but still hold their shape, about 1-2 hours depending on freshness of beans. (Beans not presoaked will take longer, about 2-3 hours to cook.) Check and add more water if necessary to keep beans completed covered during cooking. Cool in the liquid. Drain the beans.
- In a hot pan, drizzle oil and sauté onions until translucent. Add the garlic and toast for 30 seconds without burning. Add the other bay leaf, potatoes, garbanzo beans, water and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer and cook covered until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, cumin and fresh lemon juice.
- Just before serving, add the spinach and arugula to wilt and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Poach eggs in simmering water and place on top of stew.
Nutritionals for this recipe calls for dry beans cooked. Canned cooked garbanzo beans can be used but sodium content will be different. Make sure to rinse canned beans to rid of some sodium. Portion: 1 cup with 1 egg
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 470mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g
Tried this recipe?Mention @We.Eat.Live.Do.Well or tag #WeEatLiveDoWell!