Seasonal risotto with green peas, Swiss chard and orange zest. Other whole grains such as Grano or Barley will work nicely in this recipe.
You can find this recipe in our Vegetarian Meal Plan.
Servings: 6 (click to scale)
- 2 qt chicken broth
- 2 cup farro dry
- 1 Tbsp less sodium soy sauce
- 4 oz fresh leeks sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 12 oz Swiss chard chopped, tough stems removed
- 1 cup green peas frozen
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp orange peel fresh, grated
- 2 tbsp Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Cook farro in prepared chicken broth like pasta until done. Strain and cool farro and reserve 1 cup of broth for finishing. Season broth from cooking the farro with soy sauce. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil into a large pan and add leeks. Sauté over medium high heat for 4 minutes, then add the garlic for a minute. Add the cooked farro and sauté another 2 minutes. Add white wine and reduce by half. Add Swiss chard and peas, stir and cook until chard is wilted. Season with salt and black pepper. Pour in the finishing broth and stir. Should be a little soupy.
- Garnish each serving with 1/2 tsp of freshly grated orange zest and 1 tsp of parmesan cheese.
Portion: 1-1/2 cup
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Sodium: 300mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g