Servings: 12 (click to scale)
- 2 gallons water
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 lb dry whole grain elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 heads fresh cauliflower
- 2 cups salted cashews
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 each fresh shallots minced
- 4 each fresh garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Click the button to go to Instacart where we have prepared a cart with all the ingredients you’ll need! As a bonus, we will receive a small portion of any sales to support our mission of wellness and sustainability.
- Add water and first listed salt to a stockpot and bring to a boil. Add pasta and stir as needed. Cook pasta for about 8-10 minutes, until al dente. Once cooked, drain pasta and reserve cooking water.
- Cut cauliflower into evenly sized 1 inch pieces. Use the majority of the stem and core also. Rough chop cashews. In a large skillet over medium-high heat add oil and shallots. Stir and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add cauliflower and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes while stirring. Add mustard, tomato paste, second listed salt, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, about 3 Tbsp. reserved pasta water per serving and cashews. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low and cook until cauliflower is fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- When cauliflower is done, add, in batches, to high-speed blender and blend on low to incorporate then increase speed gradually to high and blend until completely incorporated and smooth.
- In a large pot or pan over low heat, add cauliflower cheese sauce to pasta and mix well. Stir well and add reserved pasta water, as needed, to desired thickness.
Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 525mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g