It’s easy to meet your daily veggie intake with this Indian-inspired dish featuring cauliflower, carrots, onion, and garlic. This recipe packs a flavor punch with all the herbs & spices!
You can find this recipe in our Plant-Forward Meal Plan.
- 1 cup fresh cauliflower
- 1-1/2 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 each bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp cumin seed
- 1/4 tsp mustard seed
- 1/4 cup fresh white onion
- 3/4 tsp fresh ginger root grated
- 3/4 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 1/4 each jalapeno peppers sliced
- 1/2 oz Indian curry powder (or madras seasoning)
- 1/2 cup fresh carrot diced
- 1/4 cup canned garbanzo beans drained, rinsed
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dry basmati rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Chop the cauliflower (including stems). Set aside.
- Heat 1-1/2 tsp oil in an oven proof pan and cook bay leaves, cumin seeds and mustard seeds until seeds start to pop. Add onions, ginger and garlic and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the chilies and curry powder or madras seasoning and stir to toast the spices. Add the carrots and cauliflower and toss well to combine. Add the garbanzo beans and salt. Stir to combine and remove from pan. Remove bay leaf from mixture and discard.
- In the same pan, heat the additional 3/4 tsp oil and sauté rice until toasted. Season with salt and add water. Pour the vegetables on top of the rice, cover the pan and cook in a 350F degree oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, fluff the rice gently and stir in mint and cilantro.