Our breadless Tofu Cucumber Banh Mi has about 1/3 the calories and sodium than your average traditional Banh Mi. By using cucumber slices instead of bread, we’re adding fresh, bright flavor and a bit of extra crunch. It’s gluten free too!
Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1/4 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
Pickled Carrot and Daikon
- 2 1/2 oz fresh carrot julienned
- 2 1/2 oz daikon radish cut into matchsticks
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- 3 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 each fresh English cucumbers
- 1 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 oz fresh cilantro
Click the button to go to Instacart where we have prepared a cart with all the ingredients you’ll need! As a bonus, we will receive a small portion of any sales to support our mission of wellness and sustainability.
- Cut tofu in half lengthwise. Press tofu between two baking sheets, overnight if possible, or for at least 2 hours.
- Whisk together garlic, salt, pepper, lime juice, and cilantro. Pour over tofu and marinate at least 1 hour. Spray grill with cooking spray. Grill tofu halves until marked, about 1 minute on each side. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- Toss carrot and daikon with salt. Place in mesh strainer and allow to sit for 3 minutes, tossing occasionally to help rid excess water. Place carrot and daikon in a non-reactive container. Whisk together warm water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Stir in vinegar. Pour pickling liquid over carrots and daikon and marinate overnight. Drain.
- Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and then again widthwise. Use spoon to scrape seeds from cucumber, creating a boat. Use a vegetable peeler to strip a peel off of the bottom of each cucumber boat so that they sit flat.
- In a small bowl, make sriracha mayo by combining sriracha with light mayonnaise. Chill.
- Top each ¼ cucumber “open faced sandwich” with: 3 oz cilantro lime tofu, 1 tbsp Sriracha mayo, ¼ cup pickled carrot and daikon, and a few cilantro sprigs.
This recipe originally appeared on the FLIK Blog.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1.5g | Sodium: 360mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g
Tried this recipe?Mention @We.Eat.Live.Do.Well or tag #WeEatLiveDoWell!