This Moroccan lentil soup gets better with time as the seasonings sit and absorb the tasty broth. By waiting the next day to eat soup, you allow the flavors to soften and form into a harmonious soup. Try making this a day ahead if possible for the best flavor.
- 1 cup fresh yellow onions chopped
- 1 cup fresh carrot chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic peeled, minced
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cup fresh cauliflower chopped
- 3/4 cup dry lentils (+ 2 Tbsp)
- 14 oz canned tomatoes, diced in juice, no salt added
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cup chicken broth concentrate
- 2 cup fresh spinach chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Combine onions, carrots, garlic, oil, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add broth, water, cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes and tomato paste and stir until well combined. Cover and cook until the lentils are tender, 4 to 5 hours on High or 8 to 10 hours on low.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in spinach. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.