Traditionally, Tabbouleh is made with cracked wheat or bulgur. This recipe uses farro to show how easy it is to use underutilized ingredients by swapping them into existing recipes. Farro is a great source of fiber and protein. When buying Farro you want to look for whole grain farro. Pearled farro has the outer layer of bran removed which means it’s going to contain less fiber and nutrients.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 cup water
- 2/3 cup Farro
- 2/3 cup fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh English cucumbers
- Wash all produce prior to prepping. In a large pot, simmer farro until tender, approximately 30 – 40 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to chill.
- Quarter tomatoes, 1/4 inch dice cucumber. Combine all ingredients, including farro in a bowl and mix well. Enjoy!