The Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Network received a recipe from one of our Executive Chefs on Bon Appétit Management Company’s Wellness Team. Please join us in learning more about one of our chefs and this easy-to-prepare, plant-based recipe.
Chef Chris provides culinary leadership to support companywide wellness initiatives including both regulatory and client-driven solutions. He served as a founding member of the Plant-Forward Culinary Collaborative and now heads up the initiative to revolutionize plant-forward to reach all corners of our cafés. Chris is happiest when he’s working side-by-side with our chefs across the country to train them how to achieve creative, delicious plant-forward menus.
“This easy-to-prepare, plant-based sauce has a flavor punch that is just as comforting as others with dairy and cheese. You can enjoy this quick creamy coconut sauce with just about any of your favorite ingredients. Pairs perfectly with your favorite pasta and even compliments proteins well. Try as a dip, paired with crusty and soft breads, or even fresh crispy vegetables.” – Chris Lenza
Bon Appétit Management Company, Executive Chef, Wellness Team.
Coconut “Cheese” Sauce
- 1 1/4 tsp vegan butter
- 1 1/4 tsp fresh shallots minced
- 1 1/4 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 2 1/2 Tbsp white wine
- 2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 Tbsp tapioca flour
Click the button to go to Instacart where we have prepared a cart with all the ingredients you’ll need! As a bonus, we will receive a small portion of any sales to support our mission of wellness and sustainability.
- Add vegan butter, shallots, and garlic to a saucepan on medium heat. Sauté until translucent. Deglaze with white wine and simmer until nearly dry.
- Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add nutritional yeast, salt, paprika, turmeric, and Dijon mustard, and gently simmer.
- Whisk in tapioca flour until a smooth consistency. Simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add additional coconut milk or water if a thinner sauce is desired.
Leave a Reply