The Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Network received a recipe from Morrison Living. Please join us in celebrating Jewish American Heritage Month with this Classic Potato Kugel recipe.
Classic Potato Kugel
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds potatoes Fresh, Peeled, Shredded
- 2 each onions Fresh, Grated
- 5 each egg
- 3/4 cup matzo meal
- 1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper Coarse
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tsp kosher salt Coarse
Click the button to go to Instacart where we have prepared a cart with all the ingredients you’ll need! As a bonus, we will receive a small portion of any sales to support our mission of wellness and sustainability.
- Preheat oven to 375F. When the oven is preheated, add oil to the pan and put it into the oven to heat up for approximately 10 minutes.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl.Add shredded potato, onion, matzo meal, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to eggs.Mix until combined well.
- When the oil has been heating about 10 minutes remove from the oven and drop 1 small spoonful of potato mixture into the pan. If it starts sizzling it is hot enough; if it does not, remove the test mixture and place the pan back in the oven to ensure it is hot enough.When the pan is ready, add the entire potato/egg mixture and spread evenly in the pan using an offset spatula or large spoon.Sprinkle with the paprika and salt
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes until crispy around the edges and top is golden brown and the potatoes in the center are soft.Allow to cool slightly before cutting.