This chicken and pasta with basil walnut pesto is a great low-waste recipe that can be ready in 40 minutes.
Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 8 oz grilled chicken breast
- 6 oz whole grain spaghetti pasta dry
- 3/4 tsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1-1/2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 each fresh garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano chopped
- 2 cups fresh button mushrooms quartered
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 cup fresh yellow squash
- 2 cups fresh cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 cups fresh green Swiss chard
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, 7-10 minutes.
- Chop parsley and basil, including stems and set aside. Oven should be set to 350F to toast walnuts and then let cool. Place half of the oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic and walnuts into a blender. Blend to a paste consistency, stopping to scrape down the sides twice. Switch to a low speed and slowly add remaining oil.
Prepare Remaining Ingredients
- Chop the oregano, including stems. Quarter the mushrooms, do not remove the stem and set aside. In a hot saute pan, drizzle oil. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and sauté for 1 minute. Add yellow squash and sauté for 1 minute. Add cherry tomatoes and sauté for 1 minute. Add Swiss chard and oregano and sauté for 1 minute. Add grilled chicken, sauté until heated through. Add 2 Tbsp of water to deglaze. Add crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Mix in cooked pasta and pesto and stir to mix and heat through.
Portion: 4 oz pasta, 4 oz vegetables
Calories: 500kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2.5g | Sodium: 430mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g