Our charro pasta recipe brings together two cuisines – Mexican and Italian – in a delicious way. We recommend serving with garlic bread, if desired. Substitute the spaghetti noodles with a gluten-free version to make this recipe gluten-free.
- 3 lbs fresh roma tomatoes
- 26 oz spaghetti pasta whole grain
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 lb fresh red onions diced
- 2 lb fresh red bell peppers diced
- 1 oz fresh garlic peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp jalapeno peppers minced
- 1 cup tequila
- 2 cups fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano chopped
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 each avocados cubed
- 14 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 28 each fresh lime wedge
- Peel, seed and chop tomatoes. Set aside for sauce. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan and sauté onion and bell pepper until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and jalapeno pepper; sauté until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Deglaze pan with tequila. Stir in tomato, cilantro, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, until tomato releases juices, about 10 minutes.
- Dice avocados and set aside. Heat 3/4 cup of tomato sauce. Stir in 1 Tbsp feta cheese and 2 oz (1/2 cup) diced avocados and heat through. Stir in 3/4 cup cooked pasta and toss until hot over medium-high heat. Serve with 2 lime wedges.