This recipe features the classic flavors of Buffalo wings—hot sauce, blue cheese, carrots and celery—in a delicious casserole. Perfect for football season! It has the perfect balance of spice and tang for this casserole. Texas Pete and Crystal hot sauces are suitable alternatives if you can’t find Frank’s.
- 12 ounces whole wheat elbow noodles
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 carrots
- 3 fresh celery stalks
- 1 fresh yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic cloves
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 Tbsp hot sauce
- 3/4 cup blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles until barely tender, about 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Heat oil in the pot over medium heat. Slice the carrots and celery. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink on the outside, 5 to 7 minutes. Whisk cornstarch and milk in a medium bowl; add to the pot along with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until bubbling and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in hot sauce.
- Spread the noodles in a 9-by-13-inch (or similar 3-quart) baking dish. Top with the chicken mixture; sprinkle with blue cheese.
- Bake the casserole until it is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.