These carrot-flecked, whole-grain morning glory muffins can be made ahead for breakfast or a snack so you can hit the ground running on a busy morning or make this coconut-carrot morning glory muffin recipe for a special brunch. Look for coconut oil, in jars or tubs, near other cooking oils in large supermarkets, in the natural-foods section, or in natural-foods stores.
Servings: 12 (click to scale)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 2 Tbsp steel cut outs
- 2 Tbsp shredded coconut unsweetened
- 2 each egg
- 1 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups fresh carrots grated
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Whisk whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and allspice together in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs, applesauce, honey and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk in coconut oil. Gently stir in the flour mixture until just moistened. Fold in carrots, 1/2 cup coconut and raisins. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oats and coconut. Bake the muffins until they spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Portion: 1 muffin
Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 206mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 15g
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Tried this recipe?Mention @We.Eat.Live.Do.Well or tag #WeEatLiveDoWell!
Leave a Reply