Servings: 4 (click to scale)
Garlic Pickled Mustard Greens
- 2 cup fresh mustard greens
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh garlic mashed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Black-Eyed Pea Burger
- 1 3/4 cup black-eyed peas canned, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms medium dice 1/2"
- 1/2 cup fresh red bell peppers medium dice 1/2"
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh scallions sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 4 ea brioche bun
Make Garlic Pickled Mustard Greens
- Wash and dry the mustard greens. Roughly, chop the mustard greens and place in a glass bowl.
- Add the vinegar, water, salt, peppercorns, sugar and garlic to a stock pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Allow mixture to boil for at least a minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once mixture is cool, pour over mustard greens. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready for use.
Black-Eyed Pea Burger
- Drain and rinse the black-eyed peas. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a sauté pan. When oil is hot add the garlic and diced red peppers. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the shitake mushrooms and season with half of the salt and pepper. Sauté veggie mixture for an additional 3 – 4 minutes. Add green onions and allow onions to wilt, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
- Place the black-eyed peas in a mixing bowl and smash with either a potato masher or fork, leaving some peas whole. Add the cooked veggie mixture, paprika, cayenne, and the rest of the salt and pepper to the black eyed peas. Mix until well combined. Form mixture into four equal patties.
- Heat remaining half of the olive oil in sauté pan. Place patties one at a time in the pan. Cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes, on one side and then flip. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Serve black-eyed pea burger on bun topped with aioli and garlic-pickled greens. Enjoy!
Optional: Feel free to toast the bun for a little extra crunch.
Calories: 540kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 1210mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 11g