We are sure you’ll love this chicken braised in Indian spices and finished with yogurt! Serve with rice and vegetables. You could even try this recipe with shrimp or pork and adjust cooking time accordingly.
Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1-1/2 cup fresh red onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger root minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste canned
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp garam masala spice blend
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless, 1-1/2” diced
- 1/4 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- Put a skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. When it starts to get hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook for 4 minutes, or until the onion is golden.
- Add the tomato paste, brown sugar, cumin seeds, garam masala, red chili flakes, turmeric, and salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken cubes and stir well to coat. Add the yogurt and water and cook, stirring until the chicken is done, about 8 minutes.
Portion: 1 cup
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1.5g | Sodium: 340mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g