We utilize all parts of the asparagus with basil, garlic cloves, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and spinach to make the base for a unique pesto. This recipe is used in our Charred Asparagus and Cauliflower Fettuccini dish.
Servings: 16 (click to scale)
- 10 oz fresh asparagus stems
- 1/2 oz fresh basil
- 2 each fresh garlic cloves peeled
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cut the asparagus into small pieces, including the stems. Spears can be reserved for another dish. In a sauce pan, add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add asparagus stems in for 10 minutes, or until very tender. Drain the water and let the asparagus cool.
- In a food processor or blender, add 1/4 cup water plus all of the ingredients except for the oil. Use all of the basil including the stems. Stream in the oil slowly to emulsify. Process until it is smooth and has a pesto consistency.
Portion: 2 Tbsp
Calories: 40kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 3.5g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 40mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g