The rice and bean mixture make this taco salad a great option for a fulfilling lunch or dinner. Add a few slices of avocado on top for a creamier texture.
Servings: 6 (click to scale)
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 each fresh yellow onions chopped
- 1-1/2 cup fresh whole kernel corn
- 15 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano crushed
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 4 each fresh tomatoes
- 8-1/2 oz long grain wild rice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup thick and chunky medium salsa
- 2 cups fresh iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2-1/2 cup tri-color tortilla strips
- 6 each fresh lime wedge
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and corn; cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Coarsely chop one tomato. Add it to the pan along with rice, beans, chili powder, 1 tsp oregano and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato cooks down, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Coarsely chop the remaining tomatoes. Combine with cilantro, salsa and the remaining oregano in a medium bowl.Toss lettuce in a large bowl with the bean mixture, half the fresh salsa and 2/3 cup cheese. Coarsely crumble the tortilla chips. Serve salad sprinkled with chips and the remaining cheese, passing lime wedges and the remaining fresh salsa at the table.
Portion: 1 1/2 cups
Calories: 390kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 460mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 0g
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.