Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 1 each bay leaf
- 1 each garlic clove crushed
- 2 each thyme sprig fresh
- 4 1/2 oz dried cannellini beans
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 each anchovy fillets
- 2 each garlic cloves minced
- 12 oz swiss chard fresh
- To cook beans: Combine beans and 5 times amount of water in a medium pot. Let soak overnight. Alternatively, for a quick soak, bring the beans and water to a boil, boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain the beans and return to the pot. Add 5 times amount of water, thyme sprigs, garlic, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover partially and simmer until the beans are tender but still hold their shape, about 1 hour to 2 hours depending on freshness of beans (Beans not presoaked will take longer about 2 to 3 hours to cook.) Check and add more water if necessary to keep beans completed covered during cooking. Cool in the liquid. Drain the beans.
- Remove tough stems from the chard and rough chop leaves; rinse and set aside. Add canola oil and anchovies into a hot sauté pan. Sauté over medium heat for 2 minutes and mash the anchovies. Add garlic and sauté until it begins to brown. Add the white beans and the chard and sauté until the chard wilts. Serve hot.
Calories: 158kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 256mg | Fiber: 9g