Our pickled carrots are a great kid-friendly recipe to show just how easy it can be to reduce food waste in the kitchen. We recommend using imperfect carrots that can be purchased from an imperfectly delicious produce company, your local community garden, or CSA!
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1-1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 4-1/2 oz fresh carrots
- Rinse uncut produce in fresh water. Do not peel carrots. Remove as little of the carrot end with the stem as possible.
- Roughly cut the carrot into 1/2 inch "coins" on the bias. If the carrot is larger than 1 inch round, cut it in half and then slice.
- In a pot over medium-high heat, heat the rice wine vinegar until it simmers. Add the sugar and salt. Stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Add the carrots to the vinegar and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove the carrots from heat and set aside to cool.
- Store the cooled carrots in a covered container for up to 72 hours. As needed: Remove the carrots from the pickling liquid and use as a garnish, or ingredient. Optional: Flavor the brine with specific additional ingredients as desired (ex: garlic, clove, dill, spices, clove, celery seed, star anise).