Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 2 lb. fresh eggplant
- 4 oz. Italian sausage
- 8 oz. white mushrooms chopped fine
- 2 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes including liquid
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 4 sprays cooking oil spray
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil chiffonade cut
Click the button to go to Instacart where we have prepared a cart with all the ingredients you’ll need! As a bonus, we will receive a small portion of any sales to support our mission of wellness and sustainability.
- Trim ends from eggplant. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Scoop inside out of eggplant leaving a 1/2" thick wall of eggplant.Reserve scooped out eggplant flesh; use for "diced eggplant" ingredient in step 2. Spray eggplant flesh side with pan spray. Sprinkle with pepper. Mark flesh side of eggplant on a grill. Place eggplant on a parchment lined sheet tray, skin side down and set aside.
- Remove sausage from casings. Discard casings. Heat a heavy bottomed pan. Brown ground sausage. Add mushrooms and diced eggplant flesh to the pan and cook until most of the liquid ha230s cooked out. Add crushed tomato, red chili flake and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes, sauce should be fairly thick. Stir first listed basil into sauce. Remove sauce from the heat.
- Fill each eggplant half with 1 cup of sausage/veg sauce. Top each eggplant half with 2 Tbsp. of mozzarella.Bake in a 350*F oven until eggplant is tender and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Garnish with second listed basil.
Recipe provided by Flik.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 570mg | Fiber: 9g