Servings: 6 (click to scale)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 oz garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tsp sweet rice mirin
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1.5 tsp warm water
- 5 cup water
- 1.5 cup brown rice dry
- 1.5 pound extra firm tofu drained
- 3 each fresh avocados diced
- 2 cup cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 oz green onions sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp Szechuan peppercorns
- Add oil, garlic, and peppers to a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is browned. Add stock, mirin, and soy sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in sugar, continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes or until sauce begins to slightly thicken. In a small bowl whisk together corn starch and first water before slowly whisking the mixture into the sauce, then allow to simmer for 1-2 min or until desired thickness.
- In a stockpot add second water and rice, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook 40-45 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Fluff with a fork and hold hot.
- Lightly coat tofu and avocado in cornstarch. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Sear off each side of the avocado and tofu until crispy, about 4-6 minutes. Coat the Tofu and avocado in warm mapo tofu sauce.
- To serve, layer brown rice, avocado and tofu mixture, and finish with green onion and ground peppercorns.
Recipe provided by Avocados From Mexico.
Calories: 690kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 240mg | Fiber: 10g