Large, lightly steamed collard leaves are perfect for wrapping up sandwich fixings. Give it a whirl with our Teriyaki Chicken, Avocado, Collard Green Wrap. Our recipe can be made gluten free — just swap tamari in for soy sauce.
Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 2/3 ounce fresh ginger root peeled and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp mirin sweet cooking wine
- 2 ounces granulated sugar
- 2/3 ounce fresh scallions chopped
- 1 Tbsp cooking sherry
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 3/4 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp fresh garlic chopped
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root minced
- 1 1/4 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 cup homemade teriyaki sauce
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups cooked brown basmati rice
- 4 large collard leaves
- 8 ounces sliced avocado
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh carrot julienned
- 6 ounces fresh red bell peppers julienned
- For marinade: Place all marinade ingredients into a pot and bring to boil. Lower heat to simmer for about 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove ginger and scallion. Cool completely and reserve.
- For teriyaki sauce: Combine soy sauce, vinegar, garlic , apple juice, sugar, ginger, and honey. Bring to boil. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Add to the teriyaki sauce, reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Marinate chicken in teriyaki marinade for 2 hours. Discard excess marinade. Mark chicken on hot grill and finish in the oven; cook to internal temperature of 165˚F. Slice chicken breast.
- Wash 2/3 cup dry brown rice and soak for 30 minutes. Drain. Boil 1-1/3 cup water, add rice, and cook 5 minutes.
- Cut protruding stems off collard leaf. Lay flat, steam until slightly softened. Drizzle sliced avocado with lime juice. 6.In center of each collard leaf wrap place: 4 oz sliced chicken breast, 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce, ½ cup rice, 2 slices avocado, ¼ cup julienned carrot, ¼ cup julienned pepper. Wrap leaf up like a burrito and cut in half.
This recipe originally appeared on the FLIK Blog.
Serving: 1wrap | Calories: 430kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2.5g | Sodium: 540mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 12g