Craving something sweet? This carrot cake is one of our favorite desserts to enjoy that satisfies your sweet tooth in a healthy way.
Servings: 16 (click to scale)
- 20 oz canned crushed pineapple including liquids
- 1-7/8 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 each egg
- 1-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk fat free
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots fresh, grated
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 12 oz cream cheese fat free
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp shredded coconut toasted sweetened
- To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Drain pineapple in a sieve (strainer) set over a bowl, pressing on the solids. Reserve the drained pineapple and 1/4 cup of the juice.
- Whisk flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil, 1 tsp vanilla and the 1/4 cup pineapple juice in a large bowl until blended. Stir in pineapple, carrots and coconut.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just blended. Stir in the walnuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare frosting & finish cake: Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Portion: 1 piece
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 340mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 0g
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Tried this recipe?Mention @We.Eat.Live.Do.Well or tag #WeEatLiveDoWell!