- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ea. garlic clove peeled and minced
- 1/4 ea. fresh yellow onion chopped
- 8 ea. white mushrooms sliced
- 1 ea. carrot shredded
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/3 cup bulgur wheat (8 oz.)
- 2-2/3 cup boiling water
- Rinse uncut produce in fresh water. Mince the garlic. Peel and dice the onion. Remove the end opposite the stem. Slice lengthwise into ¼ inch slices, then cut into ¼ inch strips, stack the strips then dice into ¼ inch pieces. Slice the mushrooms, grate the carrots and chop the parsley. Set aside.
- Heat over high heat one large sauce pot, add olive oil, swirl pan to coat. Add the onions and garlic. Brown slightly. Next, add the mushrooms, chili powder and cumin and mix to coat with the olive oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes to lightly brown the mushrooms and bloom the spices. Add bulgur, water, carrot and salt. Turn down heat to a low simmer and cook covered for 10-12 minutes until the cracked bulgur increased in size and becomes tender and the water has evaporated. Remove from the heat, mix in the parsley and lemon juice. Divide equally into four serving bowls. Serve immediately.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4.5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 160mg | Fiber: 9g