Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 1 lb garbanzo beans dry
- 1 gallon water
- 6 oz yellow onion chopped
- 3/4 oz garlic minced
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 oz fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 12 sprays cooking spray
- Soak the chickpeas in first listed water overnight, at least 12 hours. Drain.
- In a food processor, pulse chickpeas until well ground, do not puree.Add onions, garlic, baking powder, lemon juice, cilantro, salt, cumin, pepper, and cayenne. Pulse until mixture is evenly distributed and holds together when formed into a ball. If mixture is too dry, add a small amount of water, just for mixture to hold a shape.Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Prepare a sheet tray with pan spray. Scoop into 1 oz. portions. Flatten slightly to form patties. Place falafel patties on sheet tray.Bake in a 350F degree oven just until golden brown and heated through, about 25 minutes, flipping halfway through. DO NOT OVER BAKE; falafel dry out in the oven if overcooked.
Recipe originally feature on Flik blog.
Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 155mg | Fiber: 6g