Cumin and chili powder season a filling of turkey sausage, tomatoes, black beans and cheese for a creamy acorn squash dish. We recommend serving this stuffed squash with warmed corn tortillas to wrap up bites of all the tasty ingredients.
- 3 each fresh acorn squash
- 5 oz turkey sausage patty
- 1 each fresh yellow onions chopped
- 1/2 each fresh red bell peppers chopped
- 1 each fresh garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups fresh cherry tomatoes quartered
- 15 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp hot chipotle pepper sauce
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 sprays cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut squash in half horizontally. Scoop out and discard seeds. Place the squash cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, beans, salt and hot sauce (to taste), scraping up any browned bits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the tomatoes are broken down, 10 to 12 minutes.
- When the squash are tender, reduce oven temperature to 325F. Fill the squash halves with the turkey mixture. Top with cheese. Place on the baking sheet and bake until the filling is heated through and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.