Chipotle chile gives this slow cooker pulled pork a bit of a smoky flavor. Serve the pulled pork as an entree or in a sandwich.
Servings: 8 (click to scale)
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ea fresh yellow onions sliced
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chili sauce canned
- 1-1/2 tsp canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 3 lbs pork shoulder / pork butt
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 6 minutes. Add sugar and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes more. Add garlic, oregano, pepper and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add vinegar and bring to a boil. Cook until mostly evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in chili sauce and chipotle to taste.
- Place pork in a 4-quart (or larger) slow cooker and cover with the sauce. Cover and cook until the pork is almost falling apart, about 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board and shred using two forks. Stir back into the sauce.
Portion: 1 cup
Calories: 360kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 660mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Tried this recipe?Mention @We.Eat.Live.Do.Well or tag #WeEatLiveDoWell!