Our oven-fried chicken is crunchy and flavorful. We marinate skinless chicken in buttermilk to keep it juicy. A light coating of flour, sesame seeds and spices, misted with olive oil, forms an appealing crust during baking. And with only 7 grams of fat per serving in this oven-fried chicken recipe–rather than the 20 in typical fried chicken–that is good news.
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 each fresh garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 2-1/2 lb fresh chicken leg, quarter
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1-1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 2 sprays cooking oil spray
- Whisk buttermilk, mustard, garlic and hot sauce in a shallow glass dish until well blended. Remove skin from chicken, trim and cut into thighs and drumsticks. Add chicken to sauce and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or for up to 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray. Whisk flour, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the flour mixture in a paper bag or large sealable plastic bag.
- Shaking off excess marinade, place 1 or 2 pieces of chicken at a time in the bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour and place the chicken on the prepared rack. Discard any leftover flour mixture and marinade. Spray the chicken pieces with cooking spray.Bake the chicken until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165F, 40 to 50 minutes.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.