Make this ultra-creamy version of macaroni & cheese with your choice of frozen vegetable.
Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 2 cups dry whole grain elbow macaroni pasta
- 10 oz frozen broccoli chopped
- 1-3/4 cup 1% milk
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes. Add frozen broccoli and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and broccoli are just tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Heat 1 1/2 cups milk in another large pot over medium-high heat until just simmering. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined. Add the flour mixture to the simmering milk; return to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in cheddar, parmesan and mustard until the cheese is melted.Drain the pasta and broccoli and add to the cheese sauce. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, until heated through, about 1 minute.
Portion: 1-1/4 cup
Calories: 410kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 640mg | Fiber: 7g
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Tried this recipe?Mention @We.Eat.Live.Do.Well or tag #WeEatLiveDoWell!