This light and creamy pasta dish has lots of flavor with garlic, mustard, tarragon and topped with fresh lemon zest and Parmesan cheese.
Servings: 4 (click to scale)
- 8 oz whole wheat penne rigate
- 6 oz fresh asparagus diced 1"
- 1-1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 tsp whole grain mustard
- 4 tsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp tarragon leaves
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, 3 minutes more. Drain and return to the pot.
- Whisk milk, mustard, flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk in the milk mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tarragon, lemon zest and juice.
- Stir the sauce into the pasta-asparagus mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sauce is thick, creamy and coats the pasta, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in half the Parmesan. Divide the pasta among 4 bowls and top with the remaining Parmesan.
Portion: 1 1/2 cups
Calories: 360kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 600mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 0g
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Tried this recipe?Mention @We.Eat.Live.Do.Well or tag #WeEatLiveDoWell!